Enhancing Our Economy and Communities Through Better Communication
How does a print and publishing company from a small Maritime town become a major force in the Atlantic Canadian communications industry and a hands down favourite with clients?
Roots • Work Ethic • Ability • Diversity • Desire
"If we can help our customers succeed in their business, we will succeed in ours."
Ask our customers and they will say it’s because we’re easy to deal with, great problem solvers and in the end – we always make them look good.
Ask our customer service department and they will tell you it is because we can design, photograph, print, finish and deliver practically anything and all in-house! This way we can keep tight control of a job from start to finish, resulting in excellent quality, greater efficiency and a faster turnaround.
When Advocate was established over 100 years ago, the founders had no idea that the little print shop would grow to be the largest independent printer in Atlantic Canada. However, they did know that it took a certain drive to get the job done well and delivered on time. As the demands of our clients have changed so has the structure and focus the company. Today we provide everything from data management, design, videography and photography to signage, print and targeted distribution.
In addition to the original Pictou location, Advocate operates production a plant in Dieppe, New Brunswick; St. Croix Printing and Publishing in St. Stephen, New Brunswick; and Metro Guide Publishing in Halifax Nova Scotia. As well, the company includes 8 newspapers, 20 trade and regional magazines catering to diverse market sectors, a flyer distribution company, a commercial photography & videography studio, and a creative design studio. The printing business includes production of everything from national flyers, magazines, and direct mail to brochures, business cards, and promotional materials such as in ice signage and banners.
Our Core Values shape the culture and define the character of Advocate. They guide how we behave and make decisions.
- Take pride in our work and our communities.
- Develop strong, mutually rewarding relationships with clients, suppliers, coworkers and communities.
- Provide a safe and healthy work environment.
- Treat people with respect, fairness and understanding.
- Lead by example, demonstrating a can-do attitude and fostering a, collaborative mutually supportive environment.
- Act ethically and honestly, inspiring trust by saying what we mean, matching our behaviors to our words and taking responsibility for our actions.
Helping Build a Community
To make this world a better place for ourselves, and our children, we pursue economic growth, social
progress and environment protection in a sustainable manner.
Community organizations we support through funding and participation:
Advocate believes that good environmental decisions are good business decisions. We strive to be leaders
in our communities and in our industry with our commitment to environmental stewardship and to pursuing
sustainable business practices. We recognize that we have an obligation to future generations and as
such have been participating in recycling and waste reduction initiatives for over 40 years.
- Make environment a component of business decisions, ensuring the environment is considered in planning for new – and changes to existing materials, processes, equipment and facilities prior to approval.
- Promote environmental awareness amongst our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Promote the efficient use of all materials and resources.
- Purchase and use environmentally responsible products.
- Offer sustainable, forest friendly and non intrusive products to clients.
- Reduce waste through comprehensive reuse and recycling programs.
- Strive to continually improve our environmental performance through ongoing review of our activities.
- Use resources efficiently and minimize waste and emissions.
- Prevention of pollution at source is a key priority.
- Be an environmentally responsible neighbor in the communities where we operate.
- Every employee and every contractor on Advocate premises is expected to follow this policy and to report any environmental, health, or safety concern to Advocate management.